Tuesday 11 August 2009

Welcome

I am a double bass player. There. I've said it. Nothing to be ashamed of there, right? But that's not the reason for this blog.

I find myself very often the only double bass player in things. Sometimes this is right - after all, did Schubert write the Trout sextet for Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Bass? Quite. That would be silly - not that I'm against silliness.

However, what has been happening over the last few years has meant that I have been the only double bass player in Wagner operas. Yes indeed. Gotterdammerung was the most recent one I did "solo", which made the divisi parts quite entertaining. And as for the sections marked "only 4", that was to be expected. However, some parts were marked "only 8"!

So. Anyway. This blog is to be primarily about music involving double bass. It'll probably be more chamber than orchestral, and may contain some snippets of music showing particularly unpleasant / tricky sections for you to cut out & keep practising.

No comments:

Post a Comment